All You Need to Know About Slip and Fall Lawsuit In 2024
Are you injured after slipping and falling on another’s poorly maintained property? You can file a slip and fall lawsuit to get the compensation you deserve.
Compensation for a slip and fall accident
Tangible economic damages
- Lost wages.
- Long-term care.
- Medical expenses.
- Rehab therapy.
Non-tangible economic damages
- Physical pain and suffering.
- Emotional pain and suffering.
- Loss of self-esteem.
- Loss of consortium.
- Doctor’s notes.
- Medical bills.
- Medical prognosis.
- Personal journals that document pain.
- Therapist’s notes.
The discovery phase of a slip and fall lawsuit
When the at-fault party proceeds with the lawsuit, you will enter the discovery phase. During this process of slip and fall lawsuit, the attorneys may obtain the following:
- These are the written questions served by the opposing party that shows certain facts of the case.
- The attorney will help you complete interrogatories requests by the other party and carefully help you to answer your queries.
- Each party has to provide all documents related to the case.
- The attorney will gather all the necessary documents, including medical records, and provide them to the at-fault party.
- It requires a party to admit or deny certain facts about the case.
- It is a powerful tool that can hold someone liable to provide false or misleading information.
- It’s a question/answer session that is conducted under oath.
- Depositions are intended to hold people accountable for the statements they make regarding the case to prevent them from changing their stories.
- If the defense lawyer suspects foul play, he can ask you to be examined by a doctor chosen by the property owner or the insurance company.
- The main objective of the medical exam is to get an impartial evaluation of your injuries.
In the discovery phase for the slip and fall lawsuit, your actions, responses, and behavior is recorded and turned into public records. Consequently, the other side of your case can use the information against you at the trial.
Motions are filed with the court to resolve the issues. Generally, pre-trial motions are filed during the discovery phase. It includes:
- Motion to compel.
- Motion to dismiss.
- Motion in limine.
- Motion for summary judgment.
The complaint/summons in a slip and fall case.
Your lawyer will prepare this document, explaining the nature of your claim. The complaint will state:
- Who the parties are.
- A description of how the fall occurred.
- Who are allegedly responsible for the slip and fall injury.
- What you want the responsible party to pay for their action.
You can file your complaint in court to bring your slip and fall lawsuit. Consequently, you have to serve it along with summoning the party you want to sue. The summons will order the defendant to file a response to the complaint within 20 days.
If you want a lawyer who cares about you and the outcome of your slip and fall lawsuit, contact Ethen Ostroff. He and his connections ensure you get every dollar possible for what you went through.