Proton Pump Inhibitor Lawsuit In 2024 | Guide to PPI Claims
People who have suffered from dangerous side effects of proton pump inhibitors are fed up with the harm and loss they suffered from taking a drug they hoped would provide them with relief. This is why they are filing a proton pump inhibitor lawsuit to seek compensation for the harms and loss they have suffered.
Explaining proton pump inhibitors in details
Proton pump inhibitors, also known as PPIs, are pharmaceutical drugs that limit the amount of stomach acid your body produces. When you start taking the drug, the active component binds to proton pumps in the stomach. The proton pumps are the enzymes responsible for secreting stomach acid. Therefore, once this bond is formed, acid production in the stomach is significantly reduced.
In simple terms, PPIs limit the amount of gastric acid that’s produced and secreted by glands in the stomach.
Why are PPI medications used?
PPI was approved to treat a wide range of health conditions, such as:
- Barrett’s esophagus.
- Duodenal ulcers.
- Esophageal ulcers.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Laryngopharyngeal reflux disease.
- NSAID-associated ulcers.
- Stomach ulcers.
- Zollinger-Ellison Syndrome.
Research & surveys
According to a recent survey, more than 15,000 proton pump inhibitor lawsuit claims. Most of the lawsuits are filed against the manufacturers of prescription versions of Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Protonix, and Dexilant as well as over-the-counter Prilosec OTC, Nexium 24HR, and Prevacid 24HR.
Highlights from recent research and surveys
- The first case of Kidney injuries from PPI use came to attention in 2011 by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
- However, the scientific study released in 2016 lent strong support to the proton pump inhibitor claim of PPI kidney side effects among users of the drugs.
- The study examined 200,000 patients for five years of treatment and found a 20% higher risk of kidney disease in those who took PPIs in comparison with those treated with H2 blockers like Pepcid AC and Zantac.
- As this news got out, more and more people came out with their diagnoses and found that all of them had something in common. It was, they all took or were taking proton pump inhibitors.
- Chronic kidney diseases are the most life-threatening diseases as it causes a gradual shutdown of kidneys, leaving the sufferer to use dialysis or get a kidney transplant.
- The Proton Pump Inhibitor Lawsuit argue that manufacturers didn’t do enough to warn patients and other medical professionals about the possible risks as the companies become aware of them.
- According to a 2015 study of 3 million people by Stanford and the Houston Methodist Research Institute, there was a 15 percent higher risk of heart attack among PPI users.
- According to a study of more than 70,000 people aged 75 and older that was published in 2015 in JAMA Neurology, PPIs are linked with a 44% higher risk of Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia over seven years.
- Furthermore, a study published by the British Medical Journal Open in July 2017 suggested the potential for a 25% increase in early death from any cause among PPI users.
- PPI can interact with more than 290 other medications. Moreover, at least 20 of them can cause severe reactions.
- The number of PPI lawsuits grew quickly, tripling during the very first three months of 2019 alone. Consequently, by mid-2019, it has become the second-largest mass litigation in the United States.
- Nexium, Prevacid, Prilosec, and other PPI brands have been named in the proton pump inhibitor (PPI) lawsuits. Therefore, knowing what brand of PPT you used will help your attorney to build a strong case.
Am I eligible to file a proton pump inhibitor lawsuit?
If you or a loved one has been injured or harmed by PPI medication, you are eligible to receive compensation for your damages and injuries. Your proton pump inhibitor attorney will help you identify the parties that can be held liable for your damages, such as expenses, pain and suffering, and injuries resulting from using the proton pump inhibitor drugs. As a result, they will help you get a fair proton pump inhibitor settlement with a hassle-free procedure.
What is the proton pump inhibitor lawsuit settlement amount?
Enormous PPI cases are being filed against PPI manufacturers, however, there is no proton pump inhibitor lawsuit settlement amount being filed against the PPI manufacturers.
Warning signs of kidney disease associated with PPI’s
- Difficulty breathing.
- Excessive sweating.
- Excessive thirst.
- Flank pain.
- Urinating too much or too little.
- Muscle twitches.
- Insomnia or difficulty sleeping.
- Swelling in one’s ankles or feet.
Can I file a PPI injury case?
PPIs help manage heartburn. However, recent research shows that the risk associated with these drugs may outweigh the benefits. There are various Nexium, Prilosec, Dexilant, Prevacid, and Protonix users that have filed lawsuits against pharmaceutical companies for failing to disclose these risks. You may also have the grounds to file a class-action lawsuit against a proton pump inhibitor if you have suffered complications while taking or after using PPIs.
Only knowledgeable and trained proton pump inhibitor lawyers can help you determine whether or not you have a legitimate case or not.
Common side effects of PPI
- Greater vulnerability to bacterial infections.
- Inability to absorb nutrients from food.
- Joint pain.
- Muscle weakness.
- Skin problems.
However, according to NPR, researchers have found that people who use PPIs can experience dangerous and life-threatening side-effects, such as:
- Heart disease.
- Kidney disease.
People suffering from chronic kidney diseases have to undergo a kidney transplant or regular dialysis treatment. As a result, the procedures can take a physical, emotional, and mental toll on your life. Ensure your attorney knows if you have undergone these procedures as a part of your treatment plan before filing Proton Pump Inhibitor Lawsuit.
If you have also taken Prevacid, Nexium, or Prilosec for several years and suffering from health complications such as stomach cancer, you can file a claim for proton pump inhibitors. It is important to move fast to receive maximum compensation before the cases are heard later on in the year.
Ethen Ostroff Law Firm is a well-respected mass torts and class actions law firm that has the resources to take on large corporations seeking to put profit over the lives of people. Contact us today to talk with the skilled and experienced proton pump inhibitor Lawyer in Philadelphia. We will help you learn more about the proton pump inhibitor lawsuit process.