Police Dog Bite Lawsuit In 2024: Extensive Guide for Settlement
Police dog bite injuries are more serious than domestic dog bite injuries. Therefore, filing a police dog bite lawsuit is your best decision to get compensation for your injuries and losses due to dog injury.
In addition, it is found that police dog bites lead to higher rates of hospitalization, operations, multiple bites, and angiograms than domestic dog bites. They attack more often in the upper part of the body, such as the head, upper arms, and chest.
Injuries caused by a police dog bite
Here are some of the most common injuries caused by a police dog:
- Broken bones are caused by the force of a bite or from a fall caused by being dragged by the dog.
- Deep lacerations by razor-sharp teeth of the police dog.
- Internal and muscular injuries caused by the dog’s jaw or torn by their teeth.
- Permanent scarring.
- Serious infections that require long term medical treatment.
Factors that may decide a police dog bite case
Excessive force is the leading factor when dogs are used as extensions of police power. However, there are various other factors that affect the outcome of your police dog bite claim. It includes:
- What is the nature of the suspect’s crime (whether felony or misdemeanor)?
- Whether the suspect is armed or dangerous to the police or the general public?
- Whether the suspect is hiding or fleeing?
- Whether the suspect surrenders or fights with the dog.
- Whether the dog was under the complete control of the officer.
- Whether the officers have used less violent methods to arrest the suspect.
Steps to file a police dog bite lawsuit claim
Once you get to know you have a viable claim against the police, take these steps before you can get your case against the police into court.
Most governments have laws that contain rules to file an injury claim against them. The procedures of all these claims differ from state to state. However, you must make the government aware of your injuries by filing a standard form (known as a government tort claim).
After filing your police dog bite lawsuit claim, the government has a set amount of time to respond to your claim. However, if they fail to respond, reject your claim and proceed with a lawsuit.
Find a skilled and dedicated attorney
The experienced attorney helps you create a rock-solid claim. They will review the claim and help you get justice and maximum compensation for all your injuries.
If you want a lawyer who cares about you and the outcome of your police dog bite lawsuit, choose Ethen Ostroff Law. He and his professional connections ensure you get every dollar possible for what you went through.