Stairway Accident Lawsuit In 2024 - The Ways to Get Compensation
A survey shows that more than 1 million people in the United States are treated in emergency rooms for stairs-related injuries yearly. If you are one of those who have fallen from the stairs and have suffered any type of injury, you are eligible to file a Stairway Accident Lawsuit In 2024. A lawsuit filed on time will help you recover medical expenses and other damages with a hassle-free procedure.
The study above also noted that most stairway accidents occur among people ages 11 to 62. Unfortunately, the most serious injuries stemming from these incidents affect young children and other adults. In addition, while some stairway accidents result in head injuries or hip fractures, it is sometimes hard to know whether a fall down the stairs is serious enough to require medical attention. If you have suffered from a 2024 stairway accident or within two years earlier, you should immediately look for the top lawyers having extensive experience in this field.
Common causes of stairway accidents
Some people fall from stairs because they’re not paying attention or moving too fast. But more often than not, people fall down the stairs because of some conditions on the stairs or in the stairwell. Choosing experienced and licensed lawyers will help you get a fair stairway accident lawsuit settlement.
Here are some common causes of staircase accidents:
Certain surfaces, such as worn carpet or highly polished wood, are particularly slippery. The mathematical term used to describe the slipperiness of a surface is “coefficient of friction” (COF). A low COF indicates that the force required for sliding to occur is less (in other words, it’s easier to slip) than the force required when the COF is high.
Liquid substances on steps and landings can cause serious slip and fall accidents. In most stairway accident claims, residential and commercial property owners must remove ice and snow from steps within a reasonable amount of time.
Poor lighting in stairways and stairwells can make it challenging to see obstructions, hazards, and foot clearances. A recent study indicates that compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) bulbs, when first turned on, do not provide adequate lighting and high-powered LED bulbs may be a safer alternative.
Falls become more likely when handrails are loose, at the wrong height, or missing altogether. Most states have building codes that address handrail requirements. If there is clear negligence on the part of the property owner, contact a stairway injury attorney to help you get a fair settlement.
Tread depths and riser heights all impact how easily a person can navigate a staircase. Most states have building code requirements that address stair height and depth.
We have all encountered uneven steps, missing steps, warped wood, or some other condition that makes navigating stairs a little more difficult. In such cases, filing stairway accident claims increases your chances to get
Common injuries occurred in a stairway accident
According to a 2017 study, sprains and strains account for about one-third of stair-related fall injuries. An ankle sprain or knee sprain or knee sprain develops when the ligaments stabilize your joint stretch or tear.
A fall can also cause muscle strain. It is an injury where a muscle is overstretched, sometimes to the point of being torn. A fall can trigger strains in your:
The leg pain from a fall-related injury may be caused by an injury to your knee or ankle or one of the larger muscles in your leg, including your:
Choosing a skilled and experienced stairway accident lawyer will help you get maximum compensation for your injuries and damages. In addition, they would know all the stairway accidents latest updates to help make your case stronger. They would also work to get positive outcomes.
Back pain is a common complaint after a fall. It may be due to a muscle injury or a herniated disk. A herniated disc occurs when one or more of the cushions in between your vertebrae tears or otherwise allows the inner portion of your disk to slip out. That is why this injury is sometimes called a slipped disk.
Moreover, falling down the stairs when you land hard on your buttocks can result in a painful butt bruise.
How do you know if a stairway accident is serious?
It can be hard to determine if injuries from stairway accidents are grave and warrant a hospital visit. Fall accident victims who are looking to file stairway accident lawsuit claims can determine whether an injury is serious or not by looking for the following signs:
- Back pain that worsens or continues even after several days or weeks after the accident.
- Blurry vision.
- Heightened sensitivity to stimuli like light or loud noises.
- Numbness in the extremities or the groin or genital areas.
- Pain anywhere in the body that does not respond to painkillers.
- Persistent muscle weakness.
- Regular headaches that come and go over several days.
- Swelling in the injured areas.
What to do if you are alone during a stairway accident?
If you fall and you are alone in the home, here are a few things you can do:
- If you are conscious but alone and unable to reach or use your phone, call out loudly for help.
- If possible, slap the stairs or floor with a shoe or otherwise make as much noise as you can.
- You should also try to get to a safe, comfortable space to wait for help. This may mean moving off the stairs if you aren’t on a flat surface.
- If you feel that moving will cause further injury, then stay put and wait for help.
Why you should get medical help immediately
- If someone is unconscious, call 911 immediately. However, even if people seem okay, you should still seek medical attention by bringing the victim to the emergency room. The victim must still get a fair and complete medical evaluation.
- Seek medical attention immediately if someone is experiencing a severe headache, nausea, vomiting, or confusion.
- Some injuries may cause severe bleeding that won’t stop after at least 15 minutes of pressure, or there may be an obvious fracture. These conditions are considered emergencies. Get medical attention urgently.
- If a fall has caused a loss of feeling in any of the extremities, or the victim finds it difficult to walk or speak, that person should be evaluated by a doctor immediately.
Many accidents that cause a fall down the stairs are due to the negligence of another person or party. In circumstances like these, victims need to file stairway accident lawsuits. However, if you don’t know the complete procedure or want to increase your chances of getting maximum compensation, choose a skilled and experienced stairway accident lawyer in Philadelphia. At Ethen Ostroff Law, we can help connect you with a suitable and dependable personal injury attorney. Call us today at 610-510-8883.