Megabus Crash Lawsuit In 2023 | 2 Killed & 17 Injured in Megabus Crash
Just before 7 o’clock on August 9, 2022, the New Jersey State Police responded to a bus crash at the Thomas Edison Service Area entry ramp in Woodbridge. The State Police confirmed that a Megabus traveling to Philadelphia flipped over on the New Jersey Turnpike, leaving two people dead and more than a dozen others injured. The bus, which was traveling from New York City to Philadelphia, had 22 passengers and one driver, according to State Police. Have you or your loved ones suffered from a Megabus accident? The days and weeks after a crash are full of anxiety and stress. However, choosing the right Megabus crash lawyers have all the necessary resources to build a strong case to resolve your Megabus crash lawsuit in 2023 successfully.
Megabus crash ends in 2 deaths
According to the New Jersey State Police, the double-decker bus crashed with a Ford pickup truck that was traveling south in the left lane. The bus veered off the road, struck a railing, then flipped after the driver lost control, and struck the Ford. Cheryl Johnson, 59, from Bronx, New York, and Cecilia Kiyanitza, 66, from Woodbury, New York, were the two victims who died. While Kiyanitza was taken to a hospital and ultimately declared dead, Johnson was declared dead at the scene.
Meanwhile, at least 17 people were injured, three of whom had severe injuries. One of those who were badly hurt was the bus driver, a 56-year-old Westville, New Jersey resident.
On or around August 12, 2022, the first Megabus crash lawsuit was filed by the daughter of Cecilia Kiyanitza.
A man who claims to have heard the crash and was among the first on the scene who assisted in removing passengers off the bus through the hatch and the windows was also interviewed by CBS3. More people are planning to file a Megabus crash settlement claim to receive the Megabus crash compensation they deserve for their damages and injuries.
Gary Lee Fortner, a kind stranger, claimed that “the people that were on the upper deck were the ones who truly were harmed.” According to him, when they pulled out an old man, it almost appeared as though the man’s scalp was missing three-quarters of the way. At the time, Fortner was traveling back to Atlanta. He claims that there were fractures and scrapes, and he assisted the passengers in calling their families.
In a statement about the event, Megabus said, among other things: “We offer the families of the two deceased our sincere sympathies. We are presently aiding the passengers in several ways by working with them.
Types of injuries associated with Megabus crash
The extent of injuries incurred by Megabus passengers varies depending on the circumstances of the accidents. Victims have described being thrown from their seats, having windows broken, and being struck by debris at the scene of the accident.
Damages that can be compensated in Megabus crash claims include:
- Amputations brought on by severe wounds or infections – Injuries are more likely to occur when the victim is a passenger in another car that the bus strikes.
- Experiencing a sudden hit with an item or being thrown out of one’s seat results in broken or crushed bones.
- Lacerations are due to contact with the ground, glass, metal, or debris from other cars.
- Partial or complete paralysis extending downward from the site of a spine injury – The financial burden of caring for a loved one who is paralyzed is immense. It frequently puts the victim’s family under excessive stress because they must not only offer continuous care but also figure out how to pay for ongoing medical care.
- Traumatic brain injuries brought on by strikes to the head or spine can be as trivial as a concussion or can result in conditions that are more serious and may not show symptoms for weeks or months after the initial injury.
Personal injury attorneys can handle a lawsuit against Megabus crash for you to seek compensation for the severe Megabus accident injuries and wrongful death. Competent attorneys will provide the latest Megabus crash lawsuit updates so that you can stay updated with all the latest news to make a stronger claim. Whether or not you feel that you have a case, we recommend consulting with a Megabus crash lawyer immediately.
Who can be held liable in the Megabus accident lawsuit?
The fault can be attributed to a wide range of parties. They are:
- The bus company.
- Bus driver’s experience or lack thereof.
- The driver of other vehicles.
- The government entity that owns or operates the bus (e.g., local government, school district).
- Maintenance company.
- Manufacturer of the bus.
Furthermore, time also plays an vital role in determining the eligibility of a Megabus accident lawsuit. Different states may have different laws, and certain legislation may impose time limits on when you can submit a lawsuit for a Megabus crash after your Megabus crash.
How much compensation can I get in the Megabus accident?
Although not all cases are resolved before trial, many Megabus crash lawsuits may be settled before they go to trial. The following elements affect the amount of any accident settlement:
- Whether you were driving a car, motorcycle, van, semi-truck, bicycle, or as a pedestrian or driver of another vehicle.
- How much insurance the business has for wrongful death and bodily injury lawsuits.
- How many parties may be sued, and how much insurance each party possesses.
- The extent of your injuries.
- Information about you and your life, such as your age, place of employment, hobbies, your family, etc.
Damages that you can recover from a Megabus crash lawsuit include:
- Current and future medical expenses.
- Emotional distress.
- Impairment of future earning capacity.
- Loss of quality of life.
- Lost wages.
- Pain and suffering.
- Rehabilitation costs.
Consult with a Megabus crash lawyer at Ethen Ostroff Law
If you need assistance from the best Megabus crash attorneys following a Megabus crash, complete our online form or call us at 610-510-8883. Ethen Ostroff Law will be in contact with you for a free case consultation.
At Ethen Ostroff Law, we want our clients to have peace of mind and the time and resources required to make a full recovery from your Megabus crash lawsuit in 2023. Therefore, we make it a priority to provide clients with all the answers to their queries about the process and the monetary compensation they could be entitled to.
Our network of attorneys will gather all pertinent information required to build a strong case. They will also help you establish whether you or a family member has a compensation case. They work hard to help you receive the monetary recovery needed to pay your bus accident-related expenses. For inquiries, contact Ethen today!