Filing a Window Fall Accident Lawsuit In 2024 | A Complete Overview
Falling off a window is tragic and traumatizing. If you or a loved one has been injured or has died following a window fall accident, filing a window fall accident lawsuit is your best move to get compensation.
According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, more than 5,000 children aged 10 and below fall from windows annually. In addition, around 18 of these children die, while 1 in 4 children who fall out of a window suffer from injuries severe enough to require hospital admission.
Unfortunately, window fall accidents don’t only occur due to the carelessness or disregard for safety by the parents; it is also because most parents are not aware of how dangerous a window can be.
Handy tips to reduce the risk of window fall accident
Falls from windows cause more severe injuries and deaths than any other type of fall. Therefore, it is important for parents to understand the risk of window falls and take proper steps to prevent them. In addition, parents or guardians should also contact a certified window fall accident lawyer to discuss any issues regarding the window fall accident lawsuit.
Here are some practical tips to minimize window fall accidents.
- Install window guards on all second-story or higher windows.
- Use window stops to prevent windows from opening by more than 4 inches.
- Remember that window screens are not designed to stop a child from falling. A typical window screen is not enough to keep children safe.
- It is ideal to purchase window guards with a quick-release mechanism. This allows the window to be opened easily by an adult in case of a fire emergency.
- Install locks on sliding windows to prevent children from opening them.
- Move all furniture away from the windows. After all, children might climb on furniture to access windows that are otherwise out of reach.
- Try creating soft landing surfaces, like bushes or plant beds under windows, to prevent serious injuries in case of a fall.
- Do not allow children to play on fire escapes, roofs, or balconies.
- Make sure that older children understand the dangers of climbing out or jumping from windows.
- Do not leave young children at home unsupervised.
- The screens of the windows are designed only to keep bugs and debris outside. Therefore, they are not capable of withstanding pressure. According to the Center for Injury Research and Policy, screens were involved in 76% of window fall accidents.
Liability in a window fall accident
It is possible for the family of victims injured or killed in a window-related accident to pursue financial window fall accident lawsuit compensation from the at-fault party. Potentially liable parties include:
Many window fall accident lawsuit cases involve premises liability. Owners of condos, apartments, hotels, and homes can be held liable for accidents that happen on their premises.
Unfortunately, some victims were pushed. Whether intentional or unintentional, individuals who push people out of windows can face litigation for their actions.
It is possible to file a window fall accident lawsuit against the manufacturer, distributor, or seller of a window or screen if it had a defect that caused the fall.
Steps to file window fall accident lawsuit
These are various common causes of window fall accidents. Often, these injuries arise due to the negligence of the owners and landlords of stores, businesses, apartment complexes, and other public properties. In addition, the property owners are responsible for maintaining safe buildings, parking lots, and walkways and attending to hazards in a timely manner.
If a property owner fails to eliminate a dangerous condition on their property, they should be held accountable under a fall from a window accident claim for accidents that occur because of their negligence.
When dangerous conditions on another individual or organization’s property cause you to slip, fall, and injure yourself, it becomes critical to act quickly and protect your rights and well-being. By acting promptly, you will be able to hold a negligent property owner responsible for the accident and secure compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and other costs related to recovery.
Here we have listed some steps that will help you take after a slip and fall injury.
After being injured in a slip and fall accident, acquiring medical attention should be your first priority. Your doctor will assess the extent of the injury you suffered and prescribe proper treatment and care to help with your recovery fast.
Seeking medical attention is crucial in helping you get proper records of the medical expenses that you will show as evidence when seeking compensation for your medical expenses.
When you meet with your doctor, be honest about your injury and symptoms so you can obtain an accurate diagnosis. Keep copies of receipts and documentation for treatment, prescriptions, and equipment, such as crutches or wheelchairs.
Take note of the following details:
- What defects or objects contributed to your slip and fall?
- What were the circumstances that caused you to slip and fall?
- What hazardous conditions contributed to your slip and fall?
- Were there any warning signs posted to alert visitors of the hazard?
As soon as possible, you need to report the incident to the owner, landlord, or manager of the commercial property where the incident occurred. Meanwhile, if you were injured on public property, report it to the city or town. Then, request a certified copy of the incident report.
Contact the top lawyers
Contact a window fall accident attorney immediately after a window fall accident, regardless of the severity of your injuries. Note that you only have a brief window of time to file your claim. Therefore, it’s better to give yourself plenty of time to pursue a settlement.
Ethen Ostroff Law will help you get access to the top window fall accident attorney who will help you take action immediately. Our legal representative will review your case, understand your side of the story, explain your options, and assist you in investigating your case. With an experienced window fall accident lawyer in Philadelphia, you will be in the best position possible to obtain fair and just compensation to cover the cost of recovery, hold the responsible party accountable, and force them to change their ways.
If you have any doubts or want to know more about us, call us on 610-510-8883.