Reckless Driving Accident Lawsuit In 2024 - A Complete Guide
If you are injured in a collision due to the irresponsible actions of a reckless driver, you have the right to pursue damages by filing a reckless driving accident lawsuit In 2024. Whether there is a criminal aspect or not, an experienced personal injury attorney will help you receive the compensation you deserve.
Examples of reckless driving
Reckless driving includes the operation of a vehicle in such a manner that displays a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of other people. Here is a list of the most common acts of negligent driving.
- Drowsy driving.
- Distracted driving.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Evading law enforcement.
- Failure to use turn signals.
- Running red lights or stop signs.
- Road rage.
- Racing other vehicles.
- Unsafe passing of other vehicles.
Criminal and civil reckless driving cases
A reckless driver who causes injuries or death will likely face both a criminal trial and a civil lawsuit. While the same incident can lead to civil and criminal actions, the outcome of the personal injury lawsuit does not depend on the outcome of the reckless driving accident lawsuit cases.
Civil actions have a much lower burden of proof than criminal cases since the injury victim merely needs to prove that the reckless driver was negligent in supporting their claim. Therefore, a defendant acquitted of criminal charges may still be held responsible for the injuries they caused in a personal injury lawsuit.
Similarly, even if the reckless driver is found guilty in a criminal trial, he won’t automatically be considered negligent in a civil proceeding. However, the evidence that led to his conviction in a criminal court may be used to strengthen a civil claim.
Some real-life examples of reckless driving accident
- A driver travels at over 80 mph in a residential area and then abruptly makes a U-turn.
- A driver traveling at twice the posted speed limit in congested traffic doesn’t make any attempt to avoid crashing into a stopped vehicle.
- A driver speeding, disregarding red and yellow traffic lights, and missing the lug nut and worn down tire thread.
- A driver who consumes alcohol, speeds excessively, passes other vehicles in a dangerous manner, and makes no attempt to take evasive action to avoid a crash.
- A driver travels at excessive speed and passes other vehicles on the shoulder of the road in heavy traffic.
Reckless Driving Causes Serious Injuries
According to the top reckless driving accident lawyers, reckless driving is a primary reason for car accidents caused by reckless drivers in a highly populated city or a major gateway for commerce and travel. With the large number of people living here and travelers that frequent this area, drivers experience stress, congestion on the roadways, and a loss of patience, which leads to reckless driving.
Reckless drivers put themselves and others at risk of severe, life-changing injuries. Depending on the gravity of the accident, a victim can sustain several reckless driving car accident injuries, including, but not limited to:
- Head and traumatic brain injuries.
- Loss of vision.
- Limb loss or amputation.
- Burn injuries.
- Neck and back injuries.
Things to do after your reckless driving accident
- If you get injured in a reckless driving accident, you must first seek emergency medical attention immediately. After all, seeing a doctor after your accident can create a link in your medical record between your injuries and the accident.
- If possible, document the accident and keep records of your medical treatment.
- Call 911 to report the incident, so they can investigate and make a report on the incident.
Hire a skilled lawyer to take on your reckless driving case
To get a hassle-free consultation of your reckless driving accident claim, you need to choose a skilled and experienced reckless driving law firm. Experts will be able to review your case and discuss your legal options. A personal injury lawyer will not only represent you; they will also assist you in the following:
- Communicate with all parties on your behalf.
- Gather evidence in your defense.
- Compile documentary proof of your injury and damages.
- Investigate your case for fault and liability.
- Get a fair reckless driving accident settlement with the insurance company based on evidence of your losses.
- Represent you in court if you decide to file a lawsuit against the liable party
- Protect your rights.
- Inform you of your options.
- File the necessary paperwork.
Speak to your lawyer to discuss what they can do for you. The top reckless driving accident lawyer understands your unique requirements and starts working on the same.
Compensation for a reckless driving accident Lawsuit
An accident caused by a reckless driver on the road can be life-changing and result in unexpected financial burdens. People who are injured by reckless drivers on the road have a right to obtain compensation for the damage to their vehicle and for the injuries and other losses they suffered.
If you were the victim of a reckless driving accident, it is best to speak with a top-rated and highly experienced personal injury attorney. Look for one who understands the law surrounding reckless driving motor vehicle accidents and knows your compensation rights after an accident.
Ethen Ostroff Law can help connect you with lawyers experienced in reckless driving accidents. Ethen and his network will work to ensure that you are adequately compensated for your:
- Medical expenses.
- Lost wages and future loss of income.
- Pain and suffering.
- Mental anguish.
- Funeral and burial expenses if the accident results in wrongful death.
Keep in mind that the amount of compensation you’ll receive depends on your particular situation. After all, the experts at the top insurance companies want to pay you the smallest amount possible. Facing the insurance company alone could result in getting less than you deserve. If you are the victim of a reckless driving accident, you want an experienced and knowledgeable reckless driving accident attorney for your reckless driving accident lawsuit.