Hotel Injury Settlement in 2024 & Compensation
Were you injured after an accident in a hotel? You may be entitled to get a fair hotel injury settlement. Hiring skilled and experienced lawyers will help you get compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, and more.
As cases of Covid-19 have gone down, people have started going on holidays to spend quality time and enjoy the services and amenities only top hotels can offer. Whether you stayed in a hotel for a business trip, a holiday, or visiting relatives, you expected a good night’s sleep, a delicious meal, and a pleasant stay. You certainly didn’t expect to end up getting injured during your visit, did you? But unfortunately, accidents happen, and sometimes, it’s because of the negligence of the hotel operator.
If you or your loved one suffered injuries caused by the negligent actions of the hotel staff or other resort patrons, you could be eligible for hotel injury compensation.
Duties of every hotel
Hotels and resorts are required to perform the following:
- Allow guests to arrive at the hotel and park in a safe location.
- Develop proper procedures to ensure that all areas of the hotel are regularly inspected.
- Ensure that guests do not bring deadly weapons, like bombs, guns, or dangerous knives, onto the hotel premises or near areas where other guests may be walking or staying.
- Install, maintain, and monitor the security cameras accurately.
- Guarantee that emergency assistance, whether law enforcement or emergency medical care, will be summoned quickly to respond to a threat or injury.
- Properly train hotel staff to recognize common signs of distress and be aware of warning signs related to human trafficking or illicit activities within the hotel that may attract dangerous individuals.
- Reduce the dark and shadowy areas around the hotel building where criminals or violent individuals might hide and attack guests.
- Train hotel staff on what they can do in the event of an emergency to help keep guests safe, protect the health and well-being of guests, and find additional help.
Common resorts frequented by individuals
These places are popular among people on holiday, and any injury you suffered while in these places can also entitle you to compensation:
- Amusement parks.
- Cruise Ship holidays.
- Outdoor sports resorts such as ski resorts.
- Themed holiday resorts like Disney World.
Typical causes of hotel accident claims
Various scenarios could make you eligible to get hotel injury compensation if you suffered from injury or became ill while staying in a hotel. Here are some examples:
These can occur if the waiting staff overloads a tray and spills hot drinks on you.
If you become ill from food poisoning because the hotel food was prepared or cooked incorrectly.
If you suffered an allergic reaction due to a food allergy in a restaurant of a hotel, bar, or another service.
You could also be entitled to a personal injury claim if you are injured in a gym due to poorly maintained or damaged fitness equipment.
You might be able to claim if, for example, an old chair or table collapsed and you hurt yourself during a fall.
You may be able to claim if cleaning personnel failed to warn you that the floor was slippery while mopping the hotel floor, and you slipped and fell.
Criminals know that hotel guests can be easy targets. The slightest security lapse is enough for them to relieve guests of their valuables and other personal belongings, leaving guests injured and traumatized. Consequently, if an employee assaults the guest, there could be hotel liability for guest injury.
Undoubtedly, swimming pools are one of the most accident-prone areas in any hotel. Guests can injure themselves if they slip on wet slippery surfaces around the poolside. Moreover, in the worst possible scenario, a guest could drown in the pool if no lifeguard is on duty.
What to do immediately after suffering an injury at a hotel
Did you suffer from an injury due to a hotel’s imprudence? Were you wondering how to sue a hotel for injury? Here are the steps you need to take just after your accident.
- First, ask that the hotel resort provide you with a copy of the incident report.
- Have the manager see you immediately.
- Ask someone from the security to place a report.
- Identify witnesses and get their contact details.
- Seek immediate medical attention.
- Call 911.
- Take note of all the security cameras and their placements.
Compensation for hotel injuries
If you were injured in a hotel, you can file a hotel personal injury claim and be entitled to compensation for the following:
- Costs tied to the emotional and mental harm that these injuries necessarily cause.
- Loss of future income.
- Lost wages.
- Ongoing therapy or treatment costs.
- Past and future medical bills.
- Purchase and maintenance of special equipment required as a result of an injury.
- Replacement costs of the property.
Statute of limitations against hotels for negligence
You have little time to take legal action if you have been injured while staying at a hotel or while on hotel property. In every state, a statute of limitations controls how long an individual has to file a lawsuit to get hotel injury compensation for the losses and injuries they suffered.
In some states, victims may have several years to investigate and file a lawsuit seeking compensation from the hotel at fault. In other states, the period to sue is only one (1) year from the time of the incident. It is crucial to comply with the statute of limitations as your case may be dismissed without getting any compensation if not filed within the deadlines.
There are even shorter time frames if a hotel injury lawsuit is filed against a state or local municipality. In many jurisdictions, a notice of claim may need to be filed in as little as 30 days from the incident. Working with an experienced hotel accident lawyer immediately will ensure your case complies with these deadlines.
Do I have grounds for a hotel injury settlement?
Still, wondering whether you can sue a hotel for injury? Hotels have a legal responsibility to take reasonable measures to protect their guests, but that doesn’t mean that every injury or damage leads to compensation. The injured victim or the surviving family member of the deceased victim must present witness testimony and objective evidence to prove the following elements of a hotel personal injury claim:
- The type of hotel injury claims or loss suffered would have been reasonably foreseeable to a hotel or other individual or entity that houses individuals for profit.
- Reasonable measures were available for the hotel or other responsible party to take that would have prevented the loss or injury from occurring or at least would have reduced the likelihood of the incident.
- The hotel’s failure to take these reasonable measures was negligent and careless; any other person or entity in the hotel or other responsible party would have taken these measures.
- The harm suffered was caused by the failure to take reasonable preventative and reactive measures.
Ethen Ostroff Law is a renowned platform that will help you get access to top-notch and experienced hotel injury attorneys. We recommend that you call us at 610-510-8883 as soon as you get medical treatment for your injury. Once we take your case, you can rest assured that our team will provide you with regular updates and deal with everything on your behalf. Call Ethen Ostroff today!