Hernia Mesh Lawsuit Settlement Amounts in 2024 And All Guide
The largest hernia mesh lawsuit settlement amount till now is $184 million. It is paid by C.R. Bard to settle roughly 3,000 cases in 2011.
A hernia mesh lawsuit is a legal claim filed against surgical mesh manufacturers by patients who suffer serious injuries after their mesh implants failed. Moreover, people who filed this lawsuit claim that the mesh made by these companies is dangerous and led to severe injuries that require revision surgeries to fix.
In April 2016, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned that they had received various reports of the complications related to hernia repair with recalled surgical mesh products.
Hernia mesh lawsuit claim
- Defective product design.
- Defective product manufacturing.
- Failing to warn patients and doctors about the risk of mesh failure and complications.
- Improper product labeling.
- Malpractice by the plaintiff’s doctor who implanted the faulty mesh.
Status of hernia mesh lawsuits
As of January 2022, more than 21,000 lawsuits are pending against Ethicon, Atrium Medical Corp, and Davol Inc./C.R. Bard in the federal courts in Georgia, New Hampshire, and Ohio.
In addition, the first hernia mesh bellwether trials have been rescheduled multiple times because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Compensation for hernia mesh lawsuit
- Lost wages, if you suffered a partial or total disability.
- Medical bills.
- Mental and emotional anguish.
- Miscellaneous out-of-pocket expenses, such as travel to and from medical appointments.
- Loss of quality of life.
- Pain and suffering.
Are hernia symptoms dangerous?
Hernia symptoms indicate that the blood supply to a section of an organ, or tissue trapped in the hernia becomes cut off. In addition, it can also be a sign that a piece of bowel has entered the hernia and becomes blocked. Thus obstructed bowel or strangulated hernia are medical emergencies that need to be treated as soon as possible.
Complications from hernia mesh implants
Filing a claim for the complications given below will help you get fair hernia mesh settlements. The complications include:
- Abdominal pain is accompanied by nausea and nerve damage.
- Adhesion, where the mesh sticks to internal tissues.
- Bowel obstruction, where the mesh migrates to the tissue.
- Cancer develops from infected mesh.
- Chronic pain throughout the bodily connective tissues and joints.
- Injections that occur more than 30 days after the implant surgery.
- Groin and testicular pain that leads to testicle removal.
- Recurrence of the hernia following mesh surgery.
- Seromas, where fluid collects under the surface of the skin.
- Other complications, such as dental issues, liver problems, renal failure, rash, neurological changes, painful sex, and more.
Initial symptoms of hernia mesh
If you think you have a hernia and experience any of the following symptoms, seek immediate medical attention.
- Bladder injection or perforation.
- Bowel and nerve trauma.
- Difficulty passing stools or wind.
- Infection, bleeding, or hematoma.
- Mesh erosion or protrusion.
- Sudden, severe pain.
- The hernia becomes firm or tender.
- The hernia can’t be pushed back in.
Who to sue when filing a hernia mesh lawsuit?
The liable party in most hernia mesh cases is the manufacturer of the defective mesh product.
If you want a lawyer who cares about you and the outcome of your hernia mesh lawsuit, contact Ethen Ostroff. He and his networks ensure you get every dollar possible for what you went through.